Hotwire.com is a leading discount travel Web site with consistently lower prices on airline tickets, hotel rooms, rental cars, cruises and vacation packages. Launched in 2000 with funding from six major airlines, Hotwire negotiates deep discounts from its travel suppliers to help sell their excess inventory. Hotwire is a wholly owned subsidiary of Expedia, Inc. (NASDAQ: EXPE) and is based in San Francisco, CA. For more information, visit: company website We're looking for a highly talented Senior IT Engineer to join our tech team. Do you think you're the ideal candidate? Then you are obsessed with automation, configuration management, cloud computing, and uptime. You have years of experience working with highly available Linux Systems running on VMWare and in public clouds like AWS. You are passionate about working with development engineers to get more done faster with less effort using state of the art technologies including configuration management tools like Puppet and Chef along with continuous delivery tools like Jenkins. You communicate effectively and participate in initiatives with other engineers with minimal supervision. You know your way around the command line and have a solid foundation in programming and troubleshooting. You'll be helping to move an existing infrastructure into a fully virtual environment using both public and private clouds as well as helping to design and build new systems along the way. The solutions you'll be architecting will be scalable, reliable and highly available, and make good economic sense for the company. On a day-to-day basis, you'll be working with our Business Stakeholders and Engineering organizations to understand their needs and translate them into technical requirements. You'll be asked to champion DevOps projects and tasks effectively by providing accurate and credible information in a timely manner. You are analytical and not content with the status quo. You are vigilant and tenacious in protecting and growing "the business" from a technology perspective. As a key member of the team, you truly believe that teams and not individuals accomplish great things. You'll be working with a VMWare and AWS infrastructure running on Cisco and EMC hardware and using Citrix Netscaler load balancers. Our primary operating system is Linux (OEL, RHEL, and CentOS) and we make heavy use of Oracle, MySQL, Hadoop, and MongoDB.
- Strategize, architect and build infrastructure that's appropriate for business.
- Set and improve design standards for IT.
- Collaborate across cross-functional teams and assist in design processes for tactical and strategic initiatives.
- Develop and manage capacity planning models to meet marketing forecasts.
- Manage vendor relationships; keep abreast of vendor product roadmaps as well as industry best of breed technologies.
- Assist in the growth and strategic planning of our private and public cloud.
- Diagnose and quickly drive problems and issues to resolution.
- 5+ Years of Senior-level work with extensive experience as a Systems Administrator, Developer, and Systems Engineer on Linux platforms.
- Ability to communicate technical issues with non-technical people.
- Devops experience with usage of Chef. Puppet, Saltstack, or Ansible
- experience of working with the modern set of deployment and management tools.
- Familiarity with Amazon Web Services, preferably having deployed projects there.
- Strong background in Linux, preferably RedHat 6.5 and forward